On the Road By Jack Kerouac

“I shambled after as I’ve been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”



Wednesday 19 September 2012

First day of university.


I knew when I walked into the familiar building that I had a long day ahead of me. I met Za'e and Bonny previously so we could go to the class together, and when we walked through the doors into the cold modernised space, it just made the situation all the more real. I quickly contemplated whether I was actually being brought into a mental institution to be locked up... They'd finally figured me out! I soon realised that it was indeed just a university building and that they had ridiculously over used the colour white.

University. A big change in some ways, but also something I've been anticipating all summer. Finally somewhere I can study for my passion. We were one of the last students to enter the room. Everyone's silence made me assume they were all strangers, and no doubt nervous. When we sat down, the room was soon filled with mine and Za'e's giggles and whispers. We yet again failed to act like the rest of humanity. We took front row seats in the class, which was something I've always preferred doing, I like being in the action and taking everything in up close. The room was very cold, and very bare, it failed to even carry any specific scent. The only thing I was capable of smelling was my Lacoste pink perfume of which I had just started to use again that day... Mm mm fruity. The low temperature caused goosebumps on both mine and Za'e's arms, and I quickly scanned the room for the AC control panel, with intentions of destroying it. Not even the painfully pink wall beside me gave off a warm vibe.

When our new tutor, Dr Chris Dows entered, he quickly got us settled and chatting about the course, and within in minutes had the room filled with laughter. Za'e pointed out that he reminded her of Lee Evans. Thank God for that because it had been irritating me all morning! Anyway, with more giggles courtesy of the resembling comedian, the room warmed up after all. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this degree course, and I can't wait to get really stuck in next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment